DEL NORTE COUNTY
- Del Norte County is the most northwest county of California and sits on the Pacific Ocean between the Oregon border and Humboldt County along US Highways 101 and 199.
- Daily flights from San Francisco, Sacramento, Portland, and Arcata operated by Sky West, operated under United Airlines. View the Airport Location Map.
Driving time from the San Francisco Bay Area is five or six hours of spectacular scenery through Sonoma, Mendocino and Humboldt Counties. Drive time from Portland is seven hours. The Eureka/Arcata airport is located in the town of McKinleyville, 16 miles north of Eureka. AMTRAK Motorcoach runs from Martinez in the San Francisco Bay area to Humboldt County.
From San Francisco, Marin and Alameda Counties:
Option #1 (if you prefer scenic mountain roads)
Take Highway 101 north.
At Hopland take Highway 175 for 19 miles to Lakeport.
Option #2 (if you prefer less twists and turns)
Stay on Highway 101 past Highway 175.
Shortly after Ukiah, take Highway 20 east.
Drive Time: 2 to 2.5 hours
From Alameda, Contra Costa and Napa counties:
Take Highway 29 through Napa Valley and up into Middletown. From there you can take any number of routes to head toward the communities surrounding Clear Lake:
- Highway 175 over Cobb Mountain and into Kelseyville.
- Stay on Highway 29 to its intersection with Highway 53. Turn left to stay on 29 and you’ll be heading toward Kelseyville and Lakeport; or turn right on 53, which will have you enroute to the city of Clearlake.
- Continue on 53 and you’ll hit Highway 20, which will lead you to Clearlake Oaks and around Clear Lake up to the north shore communities of Lucerne, Nice and Upper Lake.
Drive Time: 1 to 1.5 hours
From the Sacramento Valley:
Go north on Interstate 5 until you reach Highway 20 in Williams.
Take Highway 20 west and you’ll be heading our way!
Drive Time: 2 hours
- From the South, Mendocino County starts just past Sonoma County, approximately 90 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge. You can access it from Highway 101, or historic Highway 1.
- From the East, drive through beautiful Lake County on Highway 20 to 101.
- From the North, Mendocino County starts just below the “Avenue of the Giants” south of Garberville.